Renting a car in the Riviera Maya is usually one of the best decisions you can make on your next trip and all, thanks to the fact that this means of transport will allow you to travel more comfortably, safer, and with a 100% planned itinerary.
Of course, this means of transport does not exempt you from risks or mishaps, but of course, it can reduce them as much as possible.
Now, for car rental in the Riviera Maya, Cancun, and Playa del Carmen, there are specific considerations that we must take into account. Do you know what they are?
What to consider when renting a car in the Riviera Maya
Now yes, take out a pen and paper that these are the considerations that regardless of the vehicle you rent, the agency, or your nationality, you must take into account:
- Look for a recognized company, such as Avant Rent a Car, do not be guided only by the price, check the car well and read the contract correctly.
- Take your time choosing the car you will rent and the inclusions you will have when contracting with that agency: Price, time, insurance, additional driver, car characteristics, etc.
- Choose comprehensive coverage insurance; this will ensure that you will be covered for the most significant number of mishaps possible during your trip.
- Take with you the necessary documentation: INE, driver’s license, credit card.
- If you will have an additional driver, do not hesitate to register it so that it appears on your rental contract.
- Make sure you meet the minimum requirements:
- Minimum age of 25 years
- Active credit card. Preferably VISA or MasterCard
- Current driver’s license (can be issued by any country)
- Current identification
Tips for driving in Riviera Maya
1. We Mexicans drive curiously!
Suppose you are Mexican and you know how to drive. In that case, we assume that the driving style of several compatriots is already normalized, but if you travel from another country, we recommend that you pay double attention.
2. Watch out for taxi drivers!
Taxi drivers have a reputation for driving worse than anyone else, for this reason, our primary recommendation is that you be extremely careful with these means of transport, more so in Playa del Carmen.
3. Try to have a full tank of gasoline.
Indeed you will wonder why, but it is easy; there are various Cancun and Playa del Carmen areas where gas stations are scarce.
4. There are police controls or checkpoints
These checkpoints are a security model within the federal highways; what should be done if one stops us? Nothing, don’t scare us and show our documentation if requested. EYE! Take care of the alcohol you drink since many of these checkpoints ensure that drunken people do not drive. Do not drink and drive.
5. Be very careful with speed bumps and rounds; sometimes, they are not well marked or visible.
Now yes, with these tips and considerations, you are ready for your next car rental in the Riviera Maya. Meet Avant Rent a Car and rent the car that best suits your next trip.